TSO in the Snow

What could possibly be more frustrating than being hurt and not knowing how you did it?

On Wednesday I somehow injured my lower back. In the morning I suffered in silence, but by the end of the day I knew that this would not be a quick heal. I called into work on Thursday not really wanting to use my sick time; it is something I just hate doing.

It is always my fear that when you call in, your boss sits on the other end of the line rolling their eyes because they believe there really is nothing wrong with you. In this instance though, there really is something wrong.

I started out Thursday hoping that by the time I needed to get ready for work that I would be fine. I woke up feeling good but, per my usual, did too much too quickly and really hurt myself. By the time I would have had to leave the house, I could barely make it from room to room. I had to bite the bullet and take the me time. If I could not pick up the baby, then I sure was not going to be able to function at work.

My husband and I had purchased tickets to see the Trans-Siberian Orchestra and Thursday night was when our tickets were for. My husband was all for me staying home and resting, but I was not willing to have spent such a sum of money on tickets and then not go. I convinced my husband that after having rested all day, I would be fine going to the concert.

By the time we were finally able to make it off the exit ramp, there was only ten minutes until the show started. We could either drive around to find a close parking spot for me and potentially be late for the show, or park at the closest lot and walk. I was feeling pretty good and decided we should walk because I was paranoid about being late.

The walk turned out to be about three quarters of a mile; normally a walk I would have enjoyed, but under the circumstances…Also, it did not help that the city had not taken care of the sidewalks very well considering there was a concert that night. There was a flight of stairs that were extremely unkempt and an older gentleman fell down them. Good thing my husband was there to help him up.

When we finally made it to the arena, it was only to realize we were in the highest row. I had to constantly remind myself not to look down at the crowd or to consicously think about where I was sitting. Mini panic attacks aside, I had a BLAST! I recommend a TSO concert to anyone who has never been. It is an amazing musical experience with laser lights and pyrotechnics.

In order to avoid the “scary stairs” as they had been dubbed, I let my husband find directionally challenged wife -me- a safer route to the car. After wanderding around and getting some super cilly toes, we made our way back to the car, thus ending our fun night out. The heating pad and Tylenol were much appreciated when we got home.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s